Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a different topic is posted inviting the participants to come up with a list of ten things to do with the topic.
This week’s topic is ‘Top Ten Bookish Goals For 2013’. I’ve written about some of these elsewhere, but I’ll try to come up with a list of 10 of them for here.
- I hope to read at least 75 books this year. I managed 83 last year, so this is not out of the question.
- I would like to write more reviews of the books I read. Last year I only wrote reviews for books when they were required. I’m not saying that I’d like to write a review for every book I read, but only that I’d like to write more.
- I want to read more of the books listed in 501 Must Read Books. I know I’d never manage all 501, but currently I have only read 39 of them, even though I own a copy of more than 100 of them!
- I’d like to try to buy less books, but this would be pretty hard. My ratio is probably about one read for every three bought. I buy a lot of them in used bookstores, thrift stores, and at various sales. I probably own at least 1,200 books, with at least another 1,000 or more in the house that belong to the rest of the family.
- I need to be more choosy in the free review books that I request. I like receiving free books, but there’s no point in me asking for ones that I might not enjoy.
- I would like to read more classics this year. I have many unread classics sitting on my bookshelves, so I have plenty to choose from.
- I want to read Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s In the First Circle. I have had this book for too long now to leave it unread for another year.
- I need to avoid impulsively signing up for too many book challenges. Last year I took on too many that appeared to be simple at the time, but proved in the end to be unworkable.
- I would like to join at least one online book or reading group. This would give me more opportunity for interaction with other readers with similar tastes to mine.
- More than anything else I want to enjoy my reading and share my love of books with as many people as I can.