Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a different topic is posted inviting the participants to come up with a list of ten things to do with the topic.
Again, it has been a few weeks since I participated in Top Ten Tuesday. I’m not sure if I can come up with a list of ten for this week’s topic, ‘Top Ten Series I Haven’t Finished’, but I know there are quite a few. So here goes:
1. The Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I read the first book, Inkheart, and really enjoyed it. I wanted to read the whole series, but just never got back to it. I may have to read the first one again before I read the others, because I fear that I may not remember enough of it now!
2. The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I read the first book and saw the movie, but at this point I have no desire to read the rest or see the other movies. I didn’t think it was terrible, but maybe it really just isn’t my thing.
3. A Series of Unfortunate Books by Lemony Snicket. I read the first three books in this series and enjoyed them enough to want to read the other ten at some time. I will return to them at some point.
4. The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I have the first ten books in this series (I picked them up on sale and at various book sales or thrift stores), but I only got part way through the first one. From what I read I think I will en joy this series, but just haven’t been able to find the time yet!
I knew this would be a fairly difficult top ten. I usually try to finish a series once I’ve started it. So, the following six series are ones I really want to read, but haven’t even got around to starting them yet:
5. The Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. I have copy of the first book in the series, Interview With the Vampire, but haven’t started it yet. It’s even on one of my book challenges for this year, but I fear it may not get read by the end of the year. This is such a large series that I might never get beyond the first one if I even get that far.
6. The His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. The first book, Northern Lights (The Golden Compass), is another book I picked up with the intention of reading this year, but other books just got in the way. I would like to get this series read, but maybe now just isn’t the time.
7. The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. I received a copy of the first book, A Game of Thrones, a couple of years ago, but it has always seemed to me to be such a daunting read, that I have avoided it thus far. I know I would enjoy this series, but am I willing to invest the time?
8. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I read a lot of Stephen King’s earlier books when I was younger, but then stopped reading him for a while. Recently I’ve gone back to reading some of his stuff and finding that I still enjoy him. I never read any of The Dark Tower books, but this is something I will have to rectify soon.
9. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I have read the Leviathan and the Midnighters series by Westerfeld and enjoyed them both. Both myself and my daughter want to read Uglies, but haven’t found the series at a good price yet. We will eventually, though.
10. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. My wife keeps nagging me to read this series, but I am still undecided. I may have to give in at some point, but the prospect doesn’t excite me right now. There are just so many books and spin-offs that I may never emerge again.